Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Sands of Youth
















Trying to hold on to youth is like trying to hold on to a fistful of sand.  We can tighten our fist, but it eventually escapes our grip. The hunt for the elusive fountain of youth is still on, only the format has changed.  Youth is now marketed in the form of invasive surgery and injectables to the comparatively milder and safer options of facials and creams, each offering more promising and longer lasting results. 

When someone goes through painful and desperate extreme measures to look more youthful than nature intended them to be, they send out a message; What they believe they have gained in ‘looks’ is negated by the message they send out. So they work on their face, but why leave out the hands and neck which in fact divulge one’s true age?

Would I ever opt for invasive surgery? Where do I stand on non- invasive procedures?
I shudder to think.
I hope I never lose my self esteem.

I want to make my stance very clear.  I do support organic and holistic approaches to better mind and body.  In a nutshell, I support the notion of working on the inside out instead of outside in.

I sometimes wonder what I would look like at age 50, 60 or 70. My grandmother, in her late seventies, looks great despite her age.  Although life, time and gravity have morphed her face into the typical mould of an old person, her visage has not yet been invaded by numerous fine lines which is noticeable in women in a few age brackets younger than her. She has aged well.  I guess that’s what I would want for myself.  To age gracefully. To age well.

PS: A 20 year old British woman flew to the US to get a back alley enhancement procedure.  Another woman ended up disfigured after injecting her face with silicone.  These are just a two of many cases.  Silicone (used in showers, windows etc) can be purchased from hardware stores.  Hydrogel, a very toxic substance which is available in drug stores can stop the heart and cause death if it enters the blood stream. Both are used illegally in the US in injectable form. 

1 comment:

  1. It is more of a fashion statement to keep up...and peer pressure if one does it then everyone has to follow...no one thinks how harmful it could be.
    It is simple as that if one tries to mess up with the natural cycle of how god meant for things to be...or in other words try to go against that natural process...there will be consequences..

    ReplyDelete